“Dubailand is the vision of Dubai’s current ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. The development is expected to be a full featured city divided into six theme worlds. The short range goal of the Dubailand is to attract 15 million tourists to Dubai by 2010. Developers expect to accomplish this goal by creating a tourism, entertainment, and leisure destination that will attract visitors not only from surrounding countries but also from Europe and Asia. On a longer term basis Dubailand is seen as a way to phase out Dubai’s dependence on oil revenues by establishing a sustainable economy through higher value added services. The venture is expected to attract approximately 200,000 visitors daily and cost $20 billion.
Six zones (worlds)
- Attractions & Experience World 13 km² (5.2 mile²)
- Retail and Entertainment World 4 km² (1.6 mile²)
- Themed Leisure and Vacation World 29 km² (11.2 mile²)
- Eco-Tourism World 75 km² (28.9 mile²)
- Sports and Outdoor World 19 km² (7.4 mile²)
- Downtown 1.8 km² (0.7 mile²)